Should I follow the crowd?



As a person, I am sure there are times you sit down and evaluate your life, or not. It reaches a point in our lives where we make a deliberate decision to make a difference in the way that we live. For example, there are days I decide I will code and get better at it because I like knowing things and doing them well.

There are this other times, especially after attending an event or just meetup I fell so pressured. I even make a schedule on what I will learn and when. Sometimes you feel so motivated to learn what the speaker was talking about. Truth is most of the time we are determined to do things or even change our lives because of what we heard or saw someone do.

 Other peoples’ success or failures do influence us.

According to Rob Henderson from Psychology Today, “Research shows we do not have as much control over our thoughts and behaviour as we think. We take cues from our environment, especially other people, on how to act.”

Most of us deny this and tell ourselves that we don’t follow the crowd but we do fall out sometimes. This mostly happens when you find someone who has done something better that you or is way ahead of you. I believe it is human to feel this way.

Being influenced by other peoples’ actions is not entirely a bad thing. It depends on our reaction to it. Getting challenged is healthy and a little pressure is good. But do not let this force you to go beyond who you are and beyond your stretching point. Take it slow. Use your time wisely. Revisit your goals if you have to and work yourself to the top.

~Wairimu Njoroge

Share :)

Comments

  1. It's only human to feel influenced by our environment. In a way, nature has a tendency trying to persuade us to push ourselves beyond our comfort level. Good stuff

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment , we appreciate it.

Popular posts from this blog

There is always that one meetup...if not meetups.

The path that chose me

My hair raising experience, literally!